Organizations have long faced difficulties recruiting behavioral health professionals and given the current shortage of Psychiatrists and Psychiatric Advance Practice Registered Nurses (APRNs), organizations must now, more than ever, rely upon organizations which provide temporary staff (locum tenens) to fill their vacancies. Unfortunately, placing temporary staff with your organization leads to additional challenges such as:
- Increased training costs due to constant staff rotation
- Decreased continuity of client care
- A loss in productivity as new staff cannot perform as efficiently as seasoned staff
- Additional costs related to travel and room/board
FasPsych is able to provide a practitioner which can be a long-term or even permanent part of your clinical team via telepsychiatry. Practitioners are available to provide:
- Psychiatric evaluations;
- Medication management; and
- On-call coverage (inpatient or outpatient)
We offer several advantages over a traditional Locum Tenens model because the practitioners that are placed will not rotate out every 60-90 days; they remain there as long as the organization requires the service. Here are some of the advantages of telepsychiatry:
- The practitioner can be a permanent member of the clinical team and will not rotate out until all of the organizations needs have been met.
- The practitioner can be moved at the discretion of the medical director or administrative staff as the needs of the organization change. For instance if a practitioners is out on medical leave or vacation or the temporary staffing organization is having difficulty placing professionals in an less than desirable location, arrangements can be made for the telepsychiatrist to provide coverage almost immediately.
- Telepsychiatry can cover multiple locations on the same day depending on the demands of the system.
- Telepsychiatrists and psychiatric APRNs do not require repeated new orientation training that sometimes occurs with staff placed through temporary organizations.
- Telepsychiatry allows the decision of what practitioner is best for a certain area to be driven by clinical reasons rather than by administrative or logistical reasons.
- Long term telepsychiatry staff has the opportunity to become familiar with the processes and vision of the behavioral health organization with which they are placed.
- Telepsychiatry can provide patients with the continuity of seeing the same practitioner instead of having to try to build new relationships with multiple Locum Tenens.
- Costs are often lower than those associated with Locum Tenens because basically all telepsychiatry hours purchased are billable hours.
For these reasons FasPsych has been able to demonstrate that telepsychiatry is a logical extension to both large and small organizations. It offers another strategic solution to ensuring that quality psychiatric care is always available to the clients you serve.